SHARE

Distressing photos and video show horror of Grenfell Tower fire as police release first haunting pictures from the inside of the destroyed building.

Released photographs show what remains inside the Grenfell Tower after the devastating fire ripped through last week.

The upsetting pictures have been released by Police to show “the scale of the challenge” they face in recovering loved ones still missing after the blaze on Thursday.

Appliances, like washing machines and cookers, can just about be made out in the photographs which show the interiors of some of the flats.

The photos, which look like they have been taken in a war zone, show how many of the flats have been burnt beyond recognition.

All that remains of a mattress in one of the pictures are its springs and an exercise bike with only the frame still intact sits in the middle of destroyed rubble.

A burnt bathtub turned black from the smoke is also pictured as the rest of the bathroom is in ruins.

The footage was captured by a specialist police recovery team who have been working closely alongside the London Ambulance Service and the London Fire Brigade.

Commander Stuart Cundy, said: “It is really important that we are clear about the scale of the challenge facing us as our teams search Grenfell Tower to recover those people still inside and return them to their loved ones.

“Whilst our teams have been from the bottom to the top of the tower, we must now carry out a full forensic and systematic search.

“The conditions due to the fire damage verge on indescribable, which is why this will be such a lengthy operation taking weeks to complete.

“We must also prepare people for the terrible reality that some people may not be identified due to the intensity of the fire.”

Commander Cundy said the number of those missing and feared dead remains at 58, but police will provide an official update soon.

Grenfell Tower - Image Met Police

He added: “Family liaison officers are supporting families, and that includes those people we know to be dead; some of those who are critically ill and sadly those people who we have been told were in Grenfell Tower that night who we have been unable to trace.

“Work has been ongoing throughout the night and continues today, so we can get as good an understanding as possible about who we believe to be still missing.

“Sadly that work leads me to believe that the number of people missing, but as yet unaccounted for has risen from yesterday’s figure of 58.

“Today, police teams continue their support to families, and make enquiries to cross check the number of those missing.

“I have always said I will be accurate about what I know, so the next figure of those presumed dead and missing will be released Monday, 19 June.

“The figure will be higher but I do not wish to speculate on that number today.”

“I must consider the fact that there may be others in the building who, for whatever reason have not been reported to us. There is also a real possibility that there may be people in the building that no one knows are missing.

“I want to hear from anyone who believes that they know someone who may have been living, staying or visiting but has not yet been reported missing to us. We are not interested in your reasons for not telling us sooner, we just want to understand as best as we can who may still be inside the building.”

Anger is mounting among residents and in the community after “years of neglect” from the council and the government. Over the weekend rebels stormed the council offices looking for answers, as the quest to unveil the damning truth behind the building’s flammable materials continues.

SHARE